COLUMBIA COUNTY HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
RECEIVES WISCONSIN SEAL-A-SMILE GRANT FUNDING
Date: August 4, 2015
From: Susan Lorenz R.N. M.S. Health Officer
Columbia County Health and Human Services has been awarded an $11,509.00 Wisconsin Seal-A-Smile grant from the Children’s Health Alliance of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Division of Public Health. The Wisconsin Seal-A-Smile Program is a statewide dental sealant program that offers grants to local school-based programs targeting underserved children in schools with a free and reduced hot lunch (FRL) of greater than 35%.
Thirteen school buildings in seven different school districts qualified for the grant in Columbia County:
1) Cambria Friesland Elementary School
2) Cambria Friesland Middle School
3) Fall River Elementary School
4) Pardeeville Middle School
5) Portage Rusch Elementary School
6) Portage Lewiston Elementary School
7) Portage John Muir Elementary School
8) Portage Wayne Bartels Middle School
9) Randolph Elementary School
10) Rio Elementary School
11) Rio Middle School
12) Wisconsin Dells Spring Hill Elementary School
13) Wisconsin Dells Spring Hill Middle School
Columbia County Health and Human Services has contracted with Cindy Seubert, Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) to provide and coordinate the Columbia County Seal-A-Smile services while the child is in school. With this funding, dental screenings to at least 670 children and dental sealants to at least 540 children will be provided. This program is not meant to be a substitution for regular dental visits.
What will the Columbia County Seal-A-Smile program offer?
· FREE sealants
· FREE fluoride varnish
· FREE tooth brushing instructions and oral health education
· FREE toothbrush and toothpaste
· A letter sent home explaining what services were done and suggestions for further treatment
What is a sealant?
· A sealant is a thin, tooth colored, plastic coating that is painted on a tooth to help prevent cavities from forming
· Your child will be checked to determine which teeth can have sealants, sealants will be done that same day
What if your child already has sealants?
· The Registered Dental Hygienist will check your child’s sealants, and replace or repair those that may no longer be there
What is a fluoride varnish?
· A fluoride varnish is topical gel that is painted onto the teeth, making them stronger
Did you know?
· In the
alone, children miss about 52 million hours of school each year because of oral
health problems US
· Poor oral health and untreated oral diseases and conditions can largely affect the ability to learn
· 90% of decay in children’s permanent teeth occurs on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth, sealants serve as a physical barrier to the bacteria that cause decay
The Columbia County Seal-A-Smile dental sealant program is available at no charge whether or not your child is covered by dental insurance. The program will bill Medical Assistance or BadgerCare if your child is covered by these programs.
For more information about the Columbia County Seal-A-Smile dental sealant program, please call Susan Lorenz R.N. Columbia County Health Officer at 608-742-9227 or e-mail at email@example.com.